Vaclav Cerny playing for Besiktas
Vaclav CernyImago

What Vaclav Cerny has now personally told Besiktas officials as Rangers bid lodged

Dan Lewis

Assistant Editor AUTHORITY Senior editor and writer responsible for daily news flow, editorial standards, and active contribution across the site network. FOCUS Editorial oversight, newsroom workflow, verified reporting, and original content. THE BRIEF Former Sports Mole correspondent Daniel manages the network’s daily output, working between reporters and experts to ensure accuracy and speed. As a senior contributor, he also writes and publishes original content across the network.

Published on

Rangers have ramped up their attempt to sign Vaclav Cerny by tabling a bid to Besiktas.

Cerny was a fan favourite during his season on loan at Ibrox in 2024-25 when scoring 18 goals and providing nine assists.

Rangers missed out on the chance to sign the Czechia international permanently last summer and he instead moved to Besiktas.

It was reported earlier this week that Rangers had made a formal approach to sign Cerny.

The Gers have now followed that up by tabling a bid for the 28-year-old.

And Rangers have not had to wait long for the response from Turkish side Besiktas.

Vaclav Cerny makes phone call after Rangers bid rejected

Derek McInnes is clearly in need of some more attacking firepower before the transfer window closes in a week-and-a-half's time.

Cerny has already proved what he is capable of from the wide areas, having been a real hit the first time around.

According to journalist Murat Ozen via X on Friday afternoon, Rangers lodged a formal offer for Cerny.

But Ozen - who has more that 315,000 followers on X and writes for Orta Cizgi - adds that the unspecified bid has already been rejected.

Cerny is said to have personally called Besiktas chiefs to tell them he does not want to leave.

Should that be taken at face value, it is fair to say it is time for Rangers to move onto their next target right now.

Vaclav Cerny playing for Besiktas
Rangers fans will beg 49ers to find Vaclav Cerny cash as Besiktas footage emerges

Who could be next at Rangers if not Cerny?

Cerny was hailed an "exceptional" player by Philippe Clement during their time together at Ibrox.

Gers chiefs perhaps felt there was better out there for the price last summer, but hindsight tells us that was not the case.

Even this window there have been bids flying left, right and centre, yet Cerny was potentially there for the taking all along for the right price.

Now, this late into the window, Rangers are left scrambling for another attacker.

It looks as though Kim Min-su could be signed by Rangers before the deadline, with that a good deal on the face of it.

On the basis of what we have seen so far this season, though, one relatively unheard of player alone will not be enough.

Ibrox News
www.ibroxnews.com