Andy Walker slams Rangers for letting Alfredo Morelos and Ryan Kent enter final 12 months of their contract
Andy Walker has blasted Rangers for not cashing in on Alfredo Morelos and Ryan Kent and allowing them to enter the final 12 months of their deal.
Morelos and Kent both stayed at Ibrox in the summer, with the club ensuring they kept the majority of their first-team squad together after a great season last year.
But Walker, speaking on The Go Radio Football Show [13 September], says the decision not to renew or sell during the summer transfer window “doesn’t make sense” and believes they should have followed Celtic’s strategy of selling and reinvesting in the squad.
“From the club’s point of view, I’m surprised they let him (Morelos) run his contract down into the last year,” he said. “He can sign for another club from January 1, and it doesn’t make sense from a business point of view.
“He still has the option of staying on and signing an extension, and I know he’s scored goals but there are business decisions to be done on every player.
“Especially when they are scoring goals in Europe, as he was doing. To let him go into the last year just doesn’t make sense, and it’s the same for Ryan Kent.
“It doesn’t make business sense. I know with Champions League money you can maybe afford to run with one of them, but there always has to be a time when you cash in on players.
“You are on the doorstep of the richest league on the planet and you can’t afford to turn down some of the money you can generate for players.
“Celtic have cashed in on Virgil van Dijk, (Victor) Wanyama, Kieran Tierney, Moussa Dembele – you get them in for a small fee and sell them on. Then you replace it with the likes of Hatate and O’Riley, you keep replacing the squad.”
While Walker might be going to the extreme with his views, he’s not completely wrong about the decision making of the board with this.
Morelos and Kent went into the summer as the two best players that Rangers have and undoubtedly their biggest assets on the pitch, yet they’ve left themselves wide open to losing them for absolutely nothing.
Giovanni van Bronckhorst admitted that talks were underway, although in Morelos’ case they were shelved following his disciplinary action earlier in the season.
However until they’re signed and delivered, the club are vulnerable to losing two key players next summer for absolutely nothing and giving themselves a mountain to climb in terms of replacing them.
Hopefully they know something we don’t and deals are closer to being sorted than we know and this is all for nothing, but if not then it’s a huge risk that didn’t need to be taken.
In other Rangers news, Bayern fans united with Rangers after major UEFA decision made