By Doug Ward

7th Aug, 2022 | 8:46am

Richard Foster has backed referee Kevin Clancy after he waved away appeals for a Rangers penalty in their 2-0 win against Kilmarnock at Ibrox on Saturday.

In the second half of the Scottish Premiership clash on 6 August, Ridvan Yilmaz’s deflected cross struck Alan Power’s arm when he was in the penalty area.

There were a lot of appeals for a spot-kick but Clancy ignored them and allowed play to go on.

Foster agrees that it wasn’t a penalty because even though the ball did hit Power’s arm, it was in a natural position while he was jogging back into the box.

“The ball does hit his hand in the box,” said Foster on BBC Sportscene on Saturday night (7 August), as shown on BBC iPlayer (29m13s).

“But in my opinion, his arm is in a perfectly natural position based on the movement he’s doing there, which is slowly jogging into the box.

“For me, that would be no penalty.”

James McFadden agreed with Foster, saying: “Yeah, that’s right.

“His arm’s by his side and even then, he’s trying to pull his arm out of the way.”

No penalty

Clancy was right, Foster was right and McFadden was right.

That was not a penalty.

There’s no way that Power deliberately handled the ball so we’re glad we managed to avoid heightened controversy over the incident because you just know that the weirdos across Glasgow would have got their tin-foil hats out to react to it.

There were plenty of appeals for a penalty at the time and we even thought to ourselves that it should have been a spot-kick in the immediate aftermath.

But after looking at the replays, it’s clear that it wasn’t a handball and it’s a good job that Clancy waved away the protests.

Luckily, Rangers were in much better form and were able to win 2-0 against Killie.

It was great to see Antonio Colak getting his first goal for the Light Blues while it was also a massive boost to see Alfredo Morelos back on the pitch and also back on the scoresheet following his injury issues.

It bodes well going into the second leg of our Champions League qualifying clash with Union Saint-Gilloise on Tuesday night at Ibrox.

Unfortunately, we were on the wrong end of a terrible penalty call on Tuesday that led to us losing 2-0 in Belgium.

But with key players fit and firing, we wouldn’t be shocked if we turn the tie around and make it to the next round of qualifiers.

In other Rangers news, Michael Stewart was left stunned on BBC Scotland after an incident with the Gers this week.